SimDragon's Journal

Saturday, August 04, 2007


What a week...

Marcos has been away this week, attending the first ever face-to-face meeting of the RI Rotaract Committee at RI HQ, at RI's expense! Ariana was fine the day Marcos left, and I got a lot done, and thought this week would be a great opportunity to catch up with things.

If only...

Ariana was unwell on Monday, and the poor mite spent most of the day crying and just wanting to be cuddled. She had a fever, and dad thought she was either teething (though still no teeth!) or had a virus. She would settle (eventually, like an hour or more later) after having some panadol, and she finally got to sleep at 11:30 pm. Although I would normally stay up and work until 1 or 2 am, I was so drained I went to bed not long after that myself. I had hoped she would have a good sleep since she went to bed so late, but was wide awake at 5:45 am wanting to be fed, since she hardly touched any food the day before.

She slept at my parents' house the next night as I had my spanish class, and she was perfectly fine for them. So I managed to get a few hours of work done.

I picked up Ariana on Wednesday morning, and she wasn't too bad during the day. She was quite good at Rotaract, having a bit of a snooze cuddling against me at the meeting, and I thought she would just go down for the night when we got home. Nope. She started grizzling on the way home in the car (which is very unusual for her), and she was inconsolable for the rest of the evening. Even cuddling didn't seem to help, so I finally resorted to giving her some Panadol again. I phoned my parents around 11 pm to see if dad had any other advice, and he ended up coming over to pick her up at 12:30 am as she still hadn't got to sleep! By then the Panadol was starting to take effect, and she was quiet as long as I cuddled her (she even started having a bit of a chuckle watching Ruby play in the kitchen). Apparently she woke at 3:30 am and again at 6:30 am.

I tried to catch up with some sleep in the morning, and actually managed to get 8 hours of rest for the first time in a very, very long time! I was still quite tired when Dad brought Ariana over, and shortly after that he came back with my niece Tameka as well, who I looked after for 3 or so hours while my parents were at Rotary. They thought Tameka would sleep the whole time, but pretty much as soon as she came back home, Ariana started grizzling again. Tameka did sleep for about an hour, but Ariana's incessant crying woke her up, and Tameka also started crying, repeating "bubby, bubby", clearly distressed that Ariana was upset.

I was struggling to stay awake, I was so exhausted, by the time Tameka went home. I had put Ariana down for a sleep, and she may have caught a little sleep, but she was still crying when my parents came over again, so Dad took her back with him again. Apparently she got off to sleep that night at 7pm! I had another meeting that night, and did catch up with a few things that night, before getting about 6 hours of reasonably decent sleep.

I didn't feel too bad this morning, and got a number of chores done, got out and did the shopping and banking, and finished some web work I had wanted to finish last week. I would have liked another rest this afternoon, and think I managed about an hour or so, before Dad brought Ariana back over. She was quite tired, and went down for a sleep at 6pm, but was awake again an hour later. She finally went to sleep for the night around 9:30 pm, which was quite good! Maybe she knows Marcos is going to be home again tomorrow. :p I ended up relaxing for a few hours after she slept, and then felt in the right frame of mind to start catching up with the mountain of email in my inbox.

I haven't caught up that much, but I've made a start. It's better than nothing! I really hope Ariana's sleep pattern returns to normal tomorrow. I don't feel like I will ever discover what it feels like to be fully rested again!

Home