SimDragon's Journal

Monday, May 14, 2007


Yesterday was my first Mother's Day as a mother. My own mother was away, so we celebrated Mother's Day with her - dinner out at a restaurant - a couple of weeks ago. Since we didn't have any particular plans, we spent most of the afternoon at Amber's house. Marcos bought me some 80% Lindt Lindor Balls (yummmmmmmmm) and we went to the Cat Haven for me to choose a new cat for us to adopt. It was so difficult to choose one, they were all nice! In the end, I chose the first cat we looked at, a white short haired cat called Ruby.

Apparently, white cats are among the more difficult for them to adopt out because they have to be kept indoors all the time - you can't let them outside as they are prone to skin cancer, and as it turns out, they are also prone to deafness. We picked Ruby up today, after she was sterilised, vaccinated and microchipped. She is very quiet, understandably, as she is still under the effect of the anaesthetic. She hasn't moved from the same spot, but we have patted her quite a lot, and she has purred a lot, so hopefully she will be happy here. We don't think she's deaf, as she has startled from sleeping when Marcos has gone near her and made a sound.

The other big news is that I have been headhunted! I certainly wasn't looking for work, though was starting to entertain the idea of doing so as our finances were getting really stretched. The person who headhunted me is someone who I have liaised with a lot at UWA over the past 5 years or so, and we are on a very similar wavelength, so I was very interested to hear what he had to offer. There appears to be quite a lot of flexibility - the first project, which I will start this week with luck, I can do entirely from home. Yay! I live about 2 blocks from the office anyway, but the more I can do from home the better, as I don't want to be away from Ariana any more than necessary. It will be interesting to see how it all goes...

Home