SimDragon's Journal

Monday, December 13, 2004


A number of years ago my GP suspected I might have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). The next time I went back to the doctor to look into that, that GP had left, and the GP I saw said not to worry about it too much...

Last week, my supervisor at clinic brought in an article from the Journal of Complementary Medicine, which concentrated on the insulin resistance side of PCOS, and how to manage it through diet. That confirmed for me that I do have PCOS, as I was diagnosed elsewhere with hyperinsulinaemia.

On Thursday I found a book in Dymocks about managing PCOS through diet and exercise, which I have nearly finished reading. Everything I read there makes sense, such as following a low GI diet and getting 30-60 mins of aerobic exercise daily. I have a lot of lifestyle changes to make! But it will be worth it. :) The exercise part will be the hardest as I lead a very sedentary life. The lovely summer weather we have now does provide good incentive to get outdoors more now though!

Home