SimDragon's Journal

Tuesday, September 28, 2004


I'm feeling a bit out of sorts at the moment, and I'm not really sure why.

I found it really hard to stay focussed at work yesterday afternoon, and I am having the same problem today. I think a large part of the problem is that my work doesn't touch, move, and inspire me, so I am really having difficulties to summon the energy to sit down and keep doing it.

Working on web sites for other people is not something I want to do anymore, as I have a perfectionist streak that can't abide working on something that I know is 2nd rate... If it is worth doing, it is worth doing well. I have very limited input on these sites - they largely want me to just cut & paste content, without thinking about whether it is logically organised or not.

If I do any web development, I would rather channel my energies into creating sites that are well designed, intuitive, user-friendly etc, that actually present a lot of useful information. So I'd rather it be a hobby again.

What then do I do to earn an income?? I'm not in a financial position to take a risk right now. Earlier this year I came very close to just throwing it all in and trying to make a living from tutoring, music teaching etc, but that is very seasonal, and by now means a guaranteed income.

Finding another job is extremely tempting. The main thing that has been holding me back is that I want the ability to travel next year - there are a few conferences I would like to go to - and I am worried that if I do change jobs, that I won't be able to take leave.

It's an issue I have been going over and over and over in my head, without coming to any useful conclusion. I should probably talk it over with someone, but I don't know who...

Home