SimDragon's Journal

Wednesday, August 25, 2004


It's got to the point where I now loathe working for the Faculty of Life & Physical Sciences.

I didn't care much for the staff when I was a student here - they were (and still are) extremely rude to students. As a staff member I gave them the benefit of the doubt, and tried to put past feelings about them behind me. Some of them are really, really nice people, don't get me wrong. But a number of them really rub me up the wrong way... and unfortunately they seem to be the ones I have to deal with the most.

I got in this morning to be told that my boss had received a "frantic" phone call at 5:15 pm last night, to say that a very confidential document (minutes of a meeting) was publicly available on the faculty website. Well yes, they asked us to upload it... as we have been doing for years... and at no stage did they ever say that these minutes were confidential and needed to be restricted. Heck, the document in question has been online since February... Easy fix at least - I have disabled the page in question, and suggested they work out what they want. We don't have ESP. And I don't appreciate the "Please explain..." emails cc'ed to multiple people which try to insinuate that I am incompetent.

Academics are also a pain... they are so high and mighty. They generally believe that they are the only ones who know anything, and are not willing to acknowledge that a non-academic might be more of an expert in a particular field (eg web development / accessibility / usability / SEO / instructional design) than them.

One powerball...

Home